Bind 8.2.2P7 Compilation problem on RH 7

Kenneth Porter shiva at well.com
Fri Dec 22 02:43:19 UTC 2000

On Thu, 21 Dec 2000 18:02:47 -0800, Eduardo E. Silva wrote:

>Folks, I have RH 7.0 ona PPro. I've tried compiling Bind 8.2.2P7 with no
>luck -- same goes for Bind 9.

I've put 9 on the shelf, but I'm using the 8.2.2P7 available from RH as
an RPM package.

If you just want to install the binary RPM, execute "rpm -U -vv
bind-[version].i386.rpm". This puts the binaries and config files in
the right places and records them in the RPM database of installed
packages. You may also want to install the caching-nameserver RPM
package, which is a basic set of config files for bind.

If you want to compile bind yourself, perhaps to customize it, get the
source RPM (SRPM). Unpack the source RPM with "rpm -i
bind-[version].src.rpm". This installs the sources in the
/usr/src/redhat tree. Then rebuild by cd'ing to /usr/src/redhat/SPECS
and executing "rpm -ba bind.spec". This unpacks the tarball, applies
any RH-specific patches, configures and makes the binaries, and builds
a binary RPM in /usr/src/redhat/RPMS/i386. Finally, install the binary
package with "rpm -U -vv
/usr/src/redhat/RPMS/i386/bind-[version].i386.rpm".

For more on RPM, check out http://www.rpm.org, where you can join the
RPM newsgroup and mailing list.

Ken
mailto:shiva at well.com