use www and not

James Raftery james-bind-users at now.ie
Fri Dec 22 16:23:07 UTC 2000

On Fri, Dec 22, 2000 at 09:18:30AM -0600, Web Janitor wrote:
> Does anyone know enough about DNS that they could describe (regardless of
> name server software) how I can set up a domain so that
> http://www.domain.com and http://domain.com both work in the browser?  I've
> seen it used 100 times but can't for the life of me figure out what kind of
> records I need to create to make this work using CheckPoint MetaIP 4.1.

You make www.domain.com 'work' by announcing an A record for that name
with the appropriate IP address. You make domain.com 'work' by doing the
exact same thing -- announce an A record with the right IP address for
domain.com. You're already announcing an SOA record for domain.com and
most likely some MX records for domain.com. Add another record -- an A
record referring to your chosen IP address.

james
--
James Raftery (JBR54)
  "Managing 4000 customer domains with BIND has been a lot like