/etc/resolv.conf

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Tue Dec 26 22:10:35 UTC 2000

In article <92b409$6vo at pub3.rc.vix.com>, Brad <melchib at exch.prasol.com> wrote:
>Hi, I'm just wondering if it's O.K. to have a machine part of two domains.

You seem to be under the misconception that the "domain" line specifies the
domain that the machine belongs to.  It doesn't.  All it does is specify a
default domain suffix to be appended in queries.

>Here's an example:
>
>ORIG /etc/resolv.conf
>
>domain xyz.com
>search xyz.com
>nameserver 10.10.10.10
>
>NEW /etc/resolv.conf
>
>domain xyz.com abc.com
>search xyz.com abc.com
>nameserver 10.10.10.10
>

>I know you can have the machine search more than one domain, but was not
>sure if I could set the domain field to more than one domain.

No, you can't.  The whole point of the "search" directive is that it
replaced the "domain" directive and allows you to specify more than one
domain.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Burlington, MA