Bind NT

Danny Mayer mayer at gis.net
Wed Dec 27 06:22:33 UTC 2000

At 05:49 PM 12/26/00, Commercial Accounts wrote:

>I have been running Bind 8.2.3 Windows NT for about a week , we are
>experiencing high CPU usage after
>four or five hours on the process for named.exe .

         Can you provide a lot more detail on this?

   First, exactly which version of BIND 8.2.3 are you running? Since it's not
   yet released it has a -TxB appended to the version number and if it's one
   of my builds, a -NTy as well. The latest build is 8.2.3-T9B.  Is that what
   you are running?

   How many zones are you loading on this box?  Are there a lot of zone
   transfers going on?  Are they succeeding or failing?  Did the named.conf
   file get read correctly or were there any errors?  What are you seeing in
   the event log?  Are there any suspect entries?  Are there lot of requests
   being made?  What else is running on this box?  How big is the page file?
   Does named have a lot of page faults?  How many IP addresses is it
   listening on?  How many IP Addresses are associated with this box?
   How many NIC cards do you have?  When you say high-CPU usage do you
   mean 80-90%? or higher?

>The machine is a PIII 733  133mhz bus with 256MB ram @ 133mhz , Windows NT
>Server SP6A
>Any ideas would be welcome.