bind NOTIFY protocol

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Wed Dec 27 19:01:42 UTC 2000

On Thu, Dec 21, 2000 at 07:26:20PM -0500, Kevin Darcy wrote:
> Indeed. Which is why the NOTIFY protocol needs to be enhanced. Stealth
> slaves should be sending an OPTION in their SOA queries which means "I'm
> really a slave and I want to be notified if the serial number changes".

Win: you can set up a slave server without updating the master.

Loss: So can someone else that you might not want declaring him- or
her-self as an authoritative server.  You lose control.

Loss: You don't have to update the master, so you may forget to declare
the new slave server as a new authoritative server in the zone file.
The new slave keeps querying the master for the data after every NOTIFY,
as well as after expirations, without ever serving the data out.

Possible Loss: You don't have to update the master, so you may forget
to change your allow-transfer statement to allow this server to update.

COSPO/OSIS Computer Support					EMT-B