errors in log file

Mathias Körber mathias at koerber.org
Thu Dec 28 16:06:57 UTC 2000

> We are running bind on a server, and although everything seems to=20
> be working
> correctly we are getting some errors in the /var/log/messages file.
>=20
> Here is one of those errors:
> Dec 28 05:46:07 ns named[387]: master zone =
"237.40.117.216.IN-ADDR.ARPA"
> (IN) rejected due to errors (serial 2821358817)

Hmm. There should have been more specific errors before this. This is =
just the
message saying that named encountered too severe errors to continue with =
this zone.
You would need to read/understand and maybe post the messages before =
that.
>=20
>=20
> so I looked at the 216.117.40.237 file and don't see any problems:
>=20
> @   IN SOA ns.blackcatsolutions.com. hostmaster.blackcatsolutions.com. =
(
>     20001228001 ; serial

I believe that this serial# is too long for an integer. Usually only 2 =
digits
for the daily update (after the YYYMMDD) are used, you have 3 (001).

>     3600  ; refresh
>     900  ; retry
>     43200  ; expire

This will not likely be the problem, but your expiry time is WAY too =
low.
Recommended values start at 1 week (I recommend 3-4 weeks, to accomodate
vacationing admins before the zone vanishes from the secondary =
nameservers).

>     3600 )  ; minimum
>=20
> @   IN PTR first.blackcatsolutions.com.

You don't seem to have any NS records for this zone, which is BAD and =
likely
your error. You will need to put at least 1 NS record to make named =
happy,
and 2 to satisfy the RFCs (RFC2182 being one of them).

>=20
> If anyone has any suggestions or knows what we may be doing wrong=20
> or need to
> tweak, I'm all ears.....

More detailed input usually gets you better help, so a complete list of
error messages for this zone would have avoided my guessing above.

HTH HAHNY