help!

Jim Reid jim at rfc1035.com
Thu Dec 28 20:48:19 UTC 2000

    Duane> our nameservers are for the past week getting way
    Duane> overworked..  when i started looking into this, i found out
    Duane> that our dialup customers apparently, unless the ip is
    Duane> spoofed, all of them seem to be sending this request
    Duane> below.. all for the same place, that does not
    Duane> exist... whats up?

Why not ask the people making these bogus lookups? The problem is the
idiot resolvers/applications on those customer's computers. You'll
need to hunt them down and get them to fix whatever it is that's
broken. They're probably stuck in an infinite loop asking for the same
non-existent name and ignoring the NXDOMAIN answer that your name
server is rightly returning when it's asked for these bogus
names. This seems to be a depressingly common problem in some M$
platforms.

If you wanted to be really clever, you could set up a bogus
brodcast.net zone on your name server and point www.brodcast.net at a
suitably configured web server on your net. This could contain a page
like "fix your rotten software" or, if you're more customer-friendly,
the web server could say "please call us because you're running
something that's giving our network a hard time".