Direction of BIND development in regard to NT.

David R. Conrad david.conrad at nominum.com
Thu Dec 28 21:11:32 UTC 2000

Ted,

At 03:31 PM 12/28/2000 -0500, Ted Watson wrote:
>Apparently BIND9 is available only on Unix.

Yes.  We are working (even as we speak) on an NT port.

>Can anyone here doing BIND development speak
>about NT vs Unix issues.

Which issues, specifically?

>Should we expect BIND to always
>be developed first on Unix and ported to NT?

The lack of an NT port can be attributed to our lack of NT expertise --
we're Unix hacks.  To address the NT port, we've hired an NT development
contractor.

>If BIND for the
>forseeable future will be a Unix-developed application
>I'll lobby to have the primary stay on Unix.

It is likely that the Unix ports will precede NT as Unix is what we're
familiar with.  Whether this is sufficient justification to lobby for Unix
would be your call (I'd lobby for Unix for other reasons :-)).

Rgds,
-drc