classless delegation

Len Conrad LConrad at Go2France.com
Sat Dec 30 19:24:59 UTC 2000

>My upstream provider has provided me a full class-'C'.

congrats

>They have asked me the name & IP of the server(s) I will use for
>DNS so as to setup the authority records for my /24 area.

this is yr DNS to which they will delegate reverse authority for your C

>If I create an additional DNS machine will it *not* be authoritative

If I were your upstream, I wouldn't delegate authority to anything
but a 1) registered HOST that was 2) on-line and answering PTR
queries correctly for the your block of ip's.

In Europe, our upstream Level3 called in the RIPE reverse bot and
checked our reverse before they granted us reverse authority, don't
know what ARIN and your upstream do, assuming you're in US.

>unless I advise my Upstream provider? IOW is my "authority" specific
>to how my provider has setup _their_ DNS?

yes, they will put an NS record in their DNS that will list your DNS
at the reverse authority for your C, aka "delegation of reverse authority".

>Along the same theme, can I create a master DNS server IP

You can create as many DNS's as you want, but I recommend that the
DNS you tell your upstream to delegate with reverse authority be an
internic-registered HOST ie, be glued into *.root-servers.net.

It doesn't pay to get creative here and spawn lame DNS's just because
you can. Do it right, be "part of the solution".

Len < why is the subject "classless"? >

http://BIND8NT.MEIway.com : Binary for ISC BIND 8.2.3 T9B for NT4 & W2K
http://IMGate.MEIway.com  : Build free, hi-perf, anti-spam mail gateways