DNS

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Tue Feb 1 18:20:56 UTC 2000

Mike wrote:

> If you had a choice between having the DNS outside the firewall or behind
> the firewall which one would you pick?  This controversy is creating turmoil
> in our office. One of the engineers wants the DNS in the DMZ and the other
> would like to have it inside. What are the pros and cons of both sides?

The question's a little vague. Is this "DNS" something which *provides* the
outside world information about your servers, or is it something that your
clients *use* to resolve external names, or both?

Also, what kind of firewalls are we talking about here; can you pass queries
and responses right through them, or would you have to set up nameservers on
the firewalls themselves?