Primary DNS is NT-based but Want Secondary with Linux

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Wed Feb 2 16:45:16 UTC 2000

In article <20000202034217.19182.qmail at www0c.netaddress.usa.net>,
Philip Forst  <phil80 at netscape.net> wrote:
>Hello all.
>
>I am considering setting up a secondary DNS in my office using bind 8.2 w=
>ith a
>Linux-Mandrake 6.0 box.  Setting up a caching-only name server has not be=
>en a
>problem, but I would prefer to set up a secondary DNS.
>
>The issue is that the primary DNS is NT-based.  From what I've read, "pro=
>per"
>set up a secondary DNS constitutes getting copies of named.conf and the d=
>b.*
>(zone files) from the primary and making the appropriate changes  in
>named.conf (slave instead of master, etal).
>
>Does a NT-based primary DNS have the same files such that bind on a Linux=
> box
>can execute a zone transfer?

Zone transfers are based on DNS data, not files. It doesn't matter whether
the data is loaded into the master server from files or a GUI like NT DNS
Manager.

>			       One important piece of info:  My office is =
>a LAN
>that is part of a nationwide WAN.  So, whereas the primary DNS may have a=
>n IP
>of 204.252.128.x, the secondary on the LAN would have an IP of 179.125.10=
>0.x.
>The IP addresses are fake -- just props to get the point across.
>
>Can something like this work without a lot of specialized configuration
>changes or am I looking at a lot of potential problems with this kind of
>setup?  Any voices of experience?

The only issue with using NT DNS as a primary is if the NT server is
configured to incorporate WINS data into the domain.  You need to check the
"Setting affects local server only" box in the NT GUI to prevent it from
trying to include the non-standard WINS record in the zone transfer,
because BIND will reject the zone.

Other than that, just create the named.conf file on the slave server as if
it were getting the zone from a BIND nameserver.  There's no named.conf
file to modify and s/master/slave/, so you'll just have to create it from
scratch.

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com