What is P6?

David R. Conrad David.Conrad at nominum.com
Thu Feb 3 01:23:31 UTC 2000

Hi,

> So has ISC produced patches for a P6 release,
> why didn't they release it to the public?

P6 was an internal release generated for a particular ISC support customer
(which OpenBSD is not).  As P6 was generated around Y2K time, we decided to
defer the public release.  We have since been accumulating some additional
patches and will be releasing 8.2.3 ASAP but have been resource limited as
BINDv9 beta 1 is due out this week.
BTW: if anyone is looking for a DNS related job, please contact me... :-)

> Are there issues that I need to be
> concerned about for my non-OpenBSD environments?

The major issues addressed in P6 were a possible denial of service problem
that could exist when querying for SIG records from a secure zone and a bug
that, under very heavy load, could result in a flood of notifies.  If we were
aware of any significant security related issues, we would have released P6
long before now.

Rgds,
-drc
Executive Director, ISC