Cisco DDM, Checkpoint Meta-IP, Dynamic DNS, DHCP, and Bind compatability

bleve at my-deja.com bleve at my-deja.com
Thu Feb 3 02:29:32 UTC 2000

In article <00aa01bf6c64$fef287e0$b577a8ce at boulder.acmebw.com>,
  "Cricket Liu" <cricket at acmebw.com> wrote:
> > Concern:  We currently use the patched BIND 8.2.2 release for our
primary
> and secondary DNS servers.  I do NOT want to migrate this to the
Cisco or
> Checkpoint products for a variety of reasons, most of them having to
do with
> security and some functionality available within the BIND release
that is
> not available in the other products.
> >
> > Question:  Can I use just the DHCP/DDNS portion of these products,
> allowing these services to "securely" use DDNS to update the zone
files of a
> seperate instance of BIND/named?  Ultimately, I would imagine that
there
> will be at least 4 physically and logically seperate DHCP servers,
and a
> fifth Windows 2000 server handling its unique concerns.  In turn,
they will
> be updating four BIND DNS servers.  Or does the functionality of
these two
> products require complete integration?
>
> Meta IP can manage your existing BIND 8.2.2-P5 name servers.  It uses
> a service control manager to send new named.conf files over to the
name
> server, reload it, etc.  You don't need to replace the name server
itself.
> And if you did, the name server in Meta IP 4.1 SP3 is 8.2.2.-P6,
> actually.

this is slightly on-topic :)

Wiht Sun's bundled DHCP server and BIND 8, AFAIK there's no
linking of the two.

So, it would be easy enough to parse the DHCP status file and
do DDNS updates from a perl script etc, but before I knock one
up, has anyone else done it already?

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.