Other OS vs. NT

Patrick MATHEVON patrick.mathevon at fra.fr
Thu Feb 3 17:51:13 UTC 2000

>This may have been dicsussed b4 :+) but I'm collecting and and all
>opinions (certified or not) and or experiences with running DNS on >NT.
>What are the concrete (dis)advantages of each, NT or unix ?  Try to >give
real examples not rumors !

I'm using Bind 4.9.5 for NT and am preparing to upgrade to Bind 8.2.2 P5 for
NT. There are 80 domain and one /24 IP V4 block.
NT DNS seems not to be a good idea (bugs, security problems...)
I'm upgrading to Bind 8 to use new features (such a DDNS, with a DHCP...)
but I'have no problem with 4.9.5

Bind for NT is nothing but a "basic" port. No window to set it up, you need
a good text editor

I'm using NT and not a Unix because all of the network is 100% NT 4, and
it's easier for me to secure the box running DNS if it is a NT, I don't know
Unix as well as I know NT.
Win 2K's DNS will be used only in our LAN for cache DNS, but both of my
authoritative DNS (primary and secondaries) still will be BIND for NT