Stealth dns and SOA record

Cricket Liu cricket at acmebw.com
Thu Feb 3 21:29:22 UTC 2000

> > > So the unpublished primary wont ever decide to send NOTIFY messages
out.

> > No, I think the primary master just uses the intrazone NS records to
> > determine
> > where to send NOTIFY messages.
>
> Huh?
>
>    " DNS NOTIFY works like this: [...]. It determines which servers are
the
> slaves for the zone by looking at the list of NS records in the zone and
> *taking out* the one that points to the name server listed in the first
> record-specific field in the zone's SOA record as well as the local host."

Right.  The "list of records in the zone" is the intrazone NS records.
That's
how a primary master name server figures out where to send NOTIFY
messages.  It *doesn't* send NOTIFY messages to itself or to any name
server named in the MNAME field.

> So I'd be correct in saying that the SOA record is used only by: dynamic
> updates, NOTIFYs and zone tranfers?

Sounds about right.

cricket

Acme Byte & Wire
cricket at acmebw.com
www.acmebw.com

Attend the next Internet Software Consortium/Acme Byte & Wire
DNS and BIND class!  See www.acmebw.com/training.htm for
the schedule and to register for upcoming classes.