Bind 8.2.2 P5 hanging up...

Philip L. Butler butler at dii.net
Fri Feb 4 03:32:13 UTC 2000

Hi,

I am new to this list, so if this has been covered already I
apologize.  I have scanned the list archives for help in this area -
very useful information, but I am still puzzled a bit on a problem I
am having.

I am running a Linux box with Bind 8.2.2-P5.  Occasionally, it stops
doing DNS for other machines.  From the logs, it seems (if I am
interpreting them correctly) that it happens after the "Cleaned
cache" message (see below) is logged and then subseqent DNS requests
from the LAN result in the "Connection refused" message (see below).
I have tried stripping all of my options out (listen-on and
forwarders mainly) but that doesn't seem to help.  Rebooting helps
for a while, but this obviously is not a permanent solution.

I have scanned the OReilly DNS/Bind book (3rd edition) and there's an
option to turn off clearing the cache, but it seems like I would want
the Bind RAM cache to be pruned every so often.

I haven't dug into the bind sources yet, but will be doing so soon.

Has anyone run across this situation ??  In searching the bind-users
archives for "ns_req", I see someone has had similar problems, but I
haven't found the answer for my situation yet.

Thanks in advance.

Phil Butler
butler at dii.net

Logs
****
Feb  3 15:48:08 (none) named[43]: Cleaned cache of 41 RRsets
Feb  3 16:30:18 (none) named[43]: ns_req: sendto([172.23.9.2].137):
Connection refused