how NS handles mutiple queries

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Fri Feb 4 15:59:31 UTC 2000

In article <01BF6EFD.6BB57AA0.srinivvs at future.futsoft.com>,
SRINIVASU V V S  <srinivvs at future.futsoft.com> wrote:
>hi all,
>  How a typical recursive name server handles mutiple queries. i think it
>has forked only once for its task..
>  my questions are :
> 1) A name server should send a query to some other name server for one of
>the request and wait for some time for its retransmission. Meanwhile if
>some other query times out it has to handle that also..how it diverts it's
>attention..
>
> 2) The above situation becomes more complicated when some of the
>connections are TCP and some are UDP..
>
>may be i am a bit confused.. plz suggest any docs for more info..

BIND doesn't stop to wait for an answer.  It sends out a recursive query,
and then goes back into its main select() loop waiting for incoming packets
or connections.  When a packet comes in, it checks the header flags to see
whether it's a query or a reply.  If it's a reply, it searches its list of
incoming queries that it hasn't answered yet, looking for a match, and then
sends the reply back to that querier.

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com