Round Robin DNS not working (80/20 not 50/50)?

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Fri Feb 4 21:21:20 UTC 2000

sroussey at network54.com wrote:

> We setup round robin DNS for network54.com. and the load only splits
> 80/20 rather than 50/50? Anyone know what might be the cause of that?

Ever since BIND 8.2, "cyclic" ordering hasn't really been "cyclic"; the
first record of the answer is chosen at random and then everything is
rotationally correct _relative_ to that. For network54.com, a
"round-robin" with only 2 records, served by mostly 8.2.X nameservers,
the records are being given in essentially *random* order, and thus some
significant deviations from 50/50 should be expected.

Even given that, 80/20 seems a little skewed, though; what's the sample
size?