ttl warning in messages

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Fri Feb 4 22:37:24 UTC 2000

On Wed, Jan 19, 2000 at 09:47:58AM -0600, Duane Cox wrote:
> Is there a easy way to disable the TTL warning in /var/log/messages about
> using the SOA TTL because one wasn't specifically defined?
> I know I can define a $TLL (number) in each zone or define the TTL for each
> host specifically to resolve this.  I mean this is NOT a problem, but its
> kind of annoying, and I'm use to using bind 8.1 and just upgraded to bind
> 8.2 and just now am experiencing this because of the upgrade.

(*sigh*)  Not fixed yet.

THE ANSWER TO YOUR QUESTION - FOUND IN THE FOLLOWING PARAGRAPH - IS
*N*O*T* A GOOD IDEA TO IMPLEMENT.

You can disable ALL zone loading messages by specifying on your
"logging" statement the following:
         category load { null; };
Since any logging statement overrides the default, you will have to
also add:
         logging {
             category load { null; };
             category default { default_syslog; default_debug; };
             category panic { default_syslog; default_stderr; };
             category packet { default_debug; };
             category eventlib { default_debug; };
         };

BUT THIS IS NOT A GOOD IDEA.  If you do this, you won't get any zone

It has been suggested several times that this error message be more
explicit as to what it means.  This is easy to do.  Nobody has done it.
Here it is.  But it will fill up your log files even more.

*** db_load.c	Fri Oct 29 23:21:35 1999
--- db_load.new.c	Fri Feb  4 17:30:58 2000
***************
*** 524,532 ****
  				    default_warn &&
  				    (default_ttl == USE_MINIMUM)) {
  					ns_warning(ns_log_load,
! 					   "Zone \"%s\" (file %s): %s",
  						zp->z_origin, filename,
! 			"No default TTL set using SOA minimum instead");
  					default_warn = 0;
  				}
  				ttl = (u_int32_t)default_ttl;
--- 524,539 ----
  				    default_warn &&
  				    (default_ttl == USE_MINIMUM)) {
  					ns_warning(ns_log_load,
! 				   "Zone \"%s\" (file %s): BIND %s %s",
  						zp->z_origin, filename,
! 						ShortVersion,
! 						"requires a+");
! 					ns_warning(ns_log_load, "%s",
! "\"$TTL <time>\" directive as the first line of the zone file, to specify+");
! 					ns_warning(ns_log_load, "%s",
! "the default record TTL, in place of the last element (\"minimum\") of the+");
! 					ns_warning(ns_log_load, "%s",
! "SOA record.  That element is now the negative cache TTL.");
  					default_warn = 0;
  				}
  				ttl = (u_int32_t)default_ttl;

COSPO/OSIS Computer Support					EMT-B