setup for 8.2.2

Tony Inskeep tony at pfeiffer.edu
Sun Feb 6 00:24:42 UTC 2000

On Sat, 5 Feb 2000, Zack Ayman Damen wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>     I trying to get bind to work on my linux box as a secondary. the problem
> is I have installed the package and for some reason the /var/named dir was
> not created. In the installtion should the install have created the named
> dir or not. If not do I create it and if so how do a let bind know where to
> point too.

You can create the directory, or you can have it anywhere, you want,
although that could be confusing later on. Either way, you specify the
directory in the options section using the directory directive in
/etc/named.conf.

It might look like this, for example,

options {
	directory "/var/named/your_domain";
};

The problem you might have now is how to create the root cache file, the
named.local file. After you've created those files and started bind, your
secondary should just perform a zone transfer from the server you've
listed as being the master for your authoritative zones.

If you're unsure how to generate a root cache file, here's a tip straight
from dns.net: