Bind 8.2.2 P5 hanging up...

Michael Milligan milli at acmebw.com
Mon Feb 7 01:37:49 UTC 2000

Jim Reid wrote:

>     >> Feb 3 15:48:08 (none) named[43]: Cleaned cache of 41 RRsets.
>     >> Feb 3 16:30:18 (none) named[43]: ns_req: sendto([172.23.9.2].137):
Connection refused

> I certainly missed this first time around.
>
> The "connection refused" report is interesting.
>
> Now the detail in the log message indicates that the name server got
> this error when it sent an answer to port 137 of IP address
> 172.23.9.2. ie Something at 172.23.9.2 sent a query with the source
> port set to 137, but by the time the name server sent a reply back
> there was nothing using that port number.
>
> So there probably isn't a problem with the name server at all.

There certainly, and likely, is a problem with the name server.  This will
happen if the name server hangs and the remote end gives up (times out)
waiting for a response and/or moves on to another server and gets an answer.
That's what is likely happening with this and other similar reports.
Getting to the bottom of why the name server is hanging is proving tough,
but is only happening on Linux platforms, AFAIK.  I have not been able to
recreate this on my servers, but some of my customers are experiencing this.

Mark [Andrews], any new specifics about syslog blocking/hanging on Linux
flavors?  Kernel and/or syslogd "bug"?  You had mentioned in an earlier post
that that might be the case.

Regards,
Mike

Michael Milligan - Acme Byte & Wire LLC - milli at acmebw.com