reverse dns

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Mon Feb 7 18:49:42 UTC 2000

In article <87md1n$l7n$1 at bugstomper.ihug.com.au>,
Brad <bradk at aulink.net> wrote:
>Just a quick question.....
>  With DNS, for a reverse lookup to work, must there be an entry in the
>normal zone file for the host/s before the reverse lookup will work? Whats
>say I just add an entry to an IP address I have, in the reverse zone, but
>have not assigned it anything in my normal zone file. Will the reverse still
>work with that?? Maybe a silly question, but I just been wondering about it
>all night hehe

The reverse lookup will work, but some applications may ignore it.
Anything that deals with security based on hostnames should not believe a
PTR record if the corresponding A lookup doesn't return the original
address.  After all, anyone can create a PTR record that claims that their
machine is named securemachine.topsecret.com.

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com