Nameservers for .com domains

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Tue Feb 8 18:48:03 UTC 2000

In article <dh8u9sog5kb58db583nhqkdvnf09mn85fm at 4ax.com>,
Georg Oberwinkler  <obii at gmx.de> wrote:
>is it necessary to have the two nameservers for a .com domain in
>different subnets, or is this only a .de "oddity"?

There are dozens of .com registrars, and each could have their own
requirements.  Network Solutions doesn't require it, they just require at
least two servers.

How does the DE NIC know your network topology, anyway?  In our case, our
authoritative servers have addresses 4.2.49.2, 4.2.49.2, and 4.2.49.3.
These may look like they're on the same subnet, but they're actually
located thousands of miles apart from each other (California, Texas, and
Washington, DC).  We use /32 routes on our backbone to implement this.

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com