How often is it suggested to restart Bind8 ?

Mark.Andrews at nominum.com Mark.Andrews at nominum.com
Wed Feb 9 13:58:49 UTC 2000

> Hi,
>
> I am using bind8.2.2p5 as a primary server on Solaris 2.6. I found
> that the cache is growing a lot and sometimes it would be good to
> clean it by a restart. How often is it suggested to restart it ?

	Normally I restart it when I upgrade named or reboot the
	server.  This has been true since the cache cleaning code
	was introduced.  Since that time named has stablised its
	memory usage after 7 days.  This has been true since BIND
	4.9.3 when I added cache cleaning.

	Yes, I've run named processes for months without restarting.

	The cache size is dependent upon the workload being put on the
	server.  If the cache is growing "to big" the server is under
	resourced for the load on it.

	Mark

--
Mark Andrews, Nominum Inc. / Internet Software Consortium
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark.Andrews at nominum.com