How often is it suggested to restart Bind8 ?

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Wed Feb 9 19:48:46 UTC 2000

In article <4.2.0.58.20000209182939.0441dbd0 at pop3.mailbox.co.uk>,
Andy Spiers  <andy at centralnic.com> wrote:
>At 11:36 AM 2/9/00 -0500, Steve Snyder wrote:
>>2. What happens when the max size is reached?  Are older data cleaned
>>out when new data arrives?
>
>I have always assumed that this is the case but I have never seen any
>conclusive documentation on the method used to select cached RRs to discard.

As I wrote in my earlier message, your assumption is wrong.

named uses the limit XXXsize options as parameters in the Unix ulimit()
system call, which tells the OS to refuse requests to grow that particular
memory segment beyond that size.  When BIND gets an error due to one of
these limits, it crashes.

You could have a cron job that checks whether named is running and restarts
it if necessary, or you could run it in a loop in a script:

while /bin/true; do
  named -d
done

The -d option is necessary to prevent it from backgrounding itself (which
would cause the loop to try spawning named continuously).

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com