How often is it suggested to restart Bind8 ?

Mathias Koerber mathias at staff.singnet.com.sg
Thu Feb 10 05:29:31 UTC 2000

On Thu, 10 Feb 2000, Lawrence Chan wrote:

| > You could have a cron job that checks whether named is running and restarts
| > it if necessary, or you could run it in a loop in a script:
| >
| > while /bin/true; do
| >   named -d
| > done

A cronjob with
	ndc start
will do fine, as it will refuse starting a second copy if the first
one is still active.

Similarly, an entry in /etc/inittab
	nm:345:respawn:/usr/sbin/named -f
should do the trick..

| > The -d option is necessary to prevent it from backgrounding itself (which
| > would cause the loop to try spawning named continuously).
| >
| > --
| > Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com
| > GTE Internetworking, Powered by BBN, Burlington, MA
| > *** DON'T SEND TECHNICAL QUESTIONS DIRECTLY TO ME, post them to newsgroups.
| > Please DON'T copy followups to me -- I'll assume it wasn't posted to the group.
|
| Is there a default value for such cache size set when installing Bind and if so,
| how large?  Surely, this sounds like a disaster waiting to happen if one has
| limited memory and without some sort of cron job.  Is this problem applicable to
| all Bind versions or is it just to Bind 8 onward?

When one has limited memory, one should NOT run a large cache! BIND simply does
not like to have parts of its data segment paged out to disk. It has to access
all pages every now and then (the maintenance cycle), and it will tax the system
a lot if it has to get all those pages from disk.

If you have any sizeable operation, use a separate machine for a caching nameserver
(and only for that), and make sure it has sufficient memory (128MB should be OK,
I use 256MB to have some spare. My named processes usually settle around 80-100MB
after a week, and grow to 120MB when it's really busy).

If your OS allows preventing a process from being paged out, that may be a good idea,
though it will be hell on othe rprocesses that may need memory.

Mathias Koerber	  | Tel: +65 / 471 9820    |   mathias at staff.singnet.com.sg
SingNet NOC	  | Fax: +65 / 475 3273    |            mathias at koerber.org
Q'town Tel. Exch. | PGP: Keyid: 768/25E082BD, finger mathias at singnet.com.sg
2 Stirling Rd     |      1A 8B FC D4 93 F1 9A FC BD 98 A3 1A 0E 73 01 65
S'pore 148943     | Disclaimer: I speak only for myself
* Eifersucht ist eine Leidenschaft, die mit Eifer sucht, was Leiden schafft *