DNS services in multiple distributed systems

Thor Kottelin thor at anta.net
Thu Feb 10 11:11:22 UTC 2000

BIND Users Mailing List wrote:

> From: Darek <dsmehlik at hscis.net>

> In next couple months we will have extended operations
> in Washington(which has the Master DNS for ourdomain.com), Oregon,
> California, Idaho and couple other states.
> I am mainly concerned about the placement of the DNS servers. I have
> some experience with DNS and Bind8, but I am not sure about placement of
> Master and Slave DNS servers. I was thinking maybe to create subdomains
> such as cal.ourdomain.com(california), or.ourdomain.com(oregon).... ,
> but from what I understand I would have to have a Master DNS server and
> a slave DNS server, for each of the subdomains.

The primaries should be placed so that zone updates are convenient to
perform; the secondaries (you'll probably want more than one) should be
placed near the users.

The zone data for your subdomains can be included in the zone file for
your second level domain, but this doesn't allow for decentralized
administration. If your people in CA, OR etc. need to maintain their own
subdomains, you should delegate to them instead.

Thor

--
My PGP public key is available on key servers - please use it!

Powerful, automated web hosting: <http://www.virtualis.com/vr/tkotteli/>