Multiple same-aliased hosts. Attn: Barry M

Glen Jarret gjarret at tyndale.apana.org.au
Thu Feb 10 16:44:47 UTC 2000

Thanks for advice re my previous q. I've been reading refs on Cisco DD & BGP
and I'm still convinced (I suspect wrongly) that my original idea
(geographically disparate servers, different CNAMEs &  IP Addresses, same
alias) is the most efficient way to create a global WWW presence.

Despite your earlier agreement with my logic, this doesn't seem to be common
practice, so having told me it's sound, do you have any caveats or warnings?
I'm convinced (so far) that this simple solution eliminates the latency of
DD/BGP, without penalties.

I need to provide local content, and (due primarily to my own pedantry) I
want clients to get fastest possible response. (There are multiple 3rd party
databases involved, and I don't want to add to that latency.)

Am I better off staying with the simple solution, or will BGP and/or DD help
me any?

TIA,
Glen.