In a BIND w/resolv.conf, Whatabout named.conf?

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Thu Feb 10 18:54:04 UTC 2000

In article <38A2FB3A.6A606A9B at eng.sun.com>,
Paul Klissner  <paul at wildhorses.net> wrote:
>resolv.conf does funny things.    It only looks at the next nameserver
>in its list *if* the prior one actually TIMES OUT, and not if the
>prior nameserver simply cannot resolve a name.  That is, if it cannot
>contact the nameserver, the resolver moves on, otherwise, it expects
>that nameserver to be able to resolv everything, period!

That's correct.  The purpose of listing multiple nameservers is for
redundancy in case a server dies.  All the servers are supposed to be
equally able to resolve names.

>So, as an alternative, I'd like to set up a third nameserver which
>can resolve names for all three domains (its own included)
>without propagating name records between any of them.
>But I'm having trouble doing that too.  And I'm wondering
>if anyone can give me pointers to how to setup my named.conf
>file to faciliate that.  I've trying using query-source option records
>but that doesn't seem to work.

Use "type forward" zones in the third nameserver:

options {
  forwarders { internet.org; };
  forward only;
};

zone "foobar.net" {
  type forward;
  forwarders { private.net; };
};

Add more "type forward" zones for other internal domains.

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com