Multiple same-aliased hosts. Attn: Barry M

Glen Jarret gjarret at tyndale.apana.org.au
Fri Feb 11 12:01:43 UTC 2000

Hi Barry,

Thanks once again. I shall take the plunge and see what happens (which will
be measured by the (nocturnally batched) resolved names of visitors).

> As an inexpensive solution, I think your plan may work.  The only caveat
is
> that your assumption that clients will always use the closest DNS server
> may not be as valid as you expect.

Surely their ISP will run its own DNS and use the nearest upstream DNS as
its secondary? Expense is not a consideration, my client is a multi-national
travel group. I suffer from hereditary perfectionism and want to minimise
the gap between clicking and rendering of the page.

Anyone using a sub-optimally located DNS (geographically or in terms of
network topology) would be nuts, surely?

BTW, I really appreciate your advice. I am constantly courted by consulting
firms who can't shut up about what they want to sell me long enough to
answer these questions.

Regards,
Glen.