On multi homed host, how to force named to return local address

Natalie Keller nkeller at hns.com
Fri Feb 11 14:47:03 UTC 2000

James Housley wrote:

> Natalie Keller wrote:
> >

> > Is there a way this prioritizing can be done? I don't know how this
> > could be done.
> Two different thoughts.  1) 4 copies each listening on a specific
> address&port.  2) 8.x supports ordering, RST I think, but forget.
>
> Jim
> --
> microsoft: "where do you want to go today?"
> linux:     "where do you want to go tomorrow?"
> BSD:       "are you guys coming, or what?"

Here is a better explanation of what I am looking for.
For example db host, bluesky, has 4 interfaces;

	bluesky    IN    A   10.0.1.1
	bluesky    IN    A   10.0.2.1
        bluesky    IN    A   10.0.3.1
	bluesky    IN    A   10.0.4.1

Is there a way that when the pc queries a nameserver, the nameserver
responds with the address of the interface first that is on the same
subnet as the pc. Such that all pc's on subnet 10.0.1.0 would try first
to connect to bluesky at interface 10.0.1.1. All pc's on subnet 10.0.2.0
would try first to connect to bluesky at interface 10.0.2.0,......etc.

Thanks.
Natalie