Classless IN-ADDR.ARPA delegation.

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Fri Feb 11 16:06:30 UTC 2000

In article <Pine.BSO.4.21.0002110349230.1841-100000 at NOC.maKintosh.com>,
John Kerbawy  <john at NOC.maKintosh.com> wrote:
>I think I'm following, at least in theory. I'm not sure exactly how I'm
>supposed to implement this though.
>
>$ORIGIN 236-247.xxx.xxx.xxx.in-addr.arpa. strikes me as wrong because of
>the "-". Maybe I'm not following you.

What's wrong with "-"?

I don't understand why you're bothering with $ORIGIN, anyway?  Each of
these needs to be separate zones, and the default origin is the zone name.
The master server for this range of addresses would contain the following
in its named.conf file:

zone "236-247.xxx.xxx.xxx.in-addr.arpa" {
  type master;
  file "db.xxx.xxx.xxx.236-247";
}

The file db.xxx.xxx.xxx.236-247 would contain PTR records for all the
addresses in that range.

The master server for xxx.xxx.xxx.in-addr.arpa would contain the following
records in this zone file:

236-247  NS  <server for 236-247 range>
$GENERATE 236-247 $ CNAME $.236-247

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com