Delegation of in-addr.arpa

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Fri Feb 11 19:48:19 UTC 2000

In article <38A43768.A55BA824 at eunet.at>, EDV BWS  <edv.bws at eunet.at> wrote:
>I have a problem delegating the in-addr.arpa domain. We have networks
>starting with, let's say, 130.10.x.x, some with 160.223.x.x..
>
>How do I delegate the in-addr.arpa domain, if parts of the domains lie
>in one networks, other parts in the other network?

You should have two zones: 10.130.in-addr.arpa and 223.160.in-addr.arpa.

>Example: Let's say, we have a host in the 150.x.x.x network, domain
>a.b.c. The other host comes from network 130.10.x.x, domain a.b.c.d. How
>can the first host do a reverse lookup of the second host's address? If
>the name server of domain a.b.c only has information about the
>160.223.x.x network, who will he ask?

If it weren't a private address block, it would ask the root servers, which
would send back the delegation records that refer it to the first server.

Since you're using RFC 1918 addresses, though, the root servers won't
delegate to you.  You could configure the second nameserver as a secondary
server for 10.130.in-addr.arpa, or you could use "forwarders" so it
forwards to the first server.

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com