Authoritative for a /27 network.

Baumann, Sean C. Sean.Baumann at celera.com
Fri Feb 11 21:16:29 UTC 2000

Hello,

I browsed the list archive and read RFC2317, but I still have questions
about how to set up our BIND server to be authoritative for a /27 network.
I understand that our ISP (who actually owns the entire class C) should
create a zone file that delegates our particular subnet to us.  They must
also create CNAME records in their reverse zone as specified in the RFC2317.
However, on our DNS server, if we create a zone for say
"32/27.3.2.1.in-addr.arpa", our server will not resolve the reverse
addresses (but can resolve the forward for that domain).  Do we have to set
up a zone file for "3.2.1.in-addr.arpa" on our server as well with the CNAME
records as well?  If this is true,  would we have to set up NS records for
all of the other networks that are part of the class C?

thanks,
Sean Baumann

Sean C.Baumann      Phone: 240/453-3342
Security Engineer      Fax  : 240/453-3305
Celera Genomics      sean.baumann at celera.com
              http://www.celera.com