Bind V9 and hosting lots of Domains

Mark.Andrews at nominum.com Mark.Andrews at nominum.com
Sat Feb 12 00:23:23 UTC 2000

> We currently host 220,000 domains. It takes over an hour for a Bind V8
> server to start on our Sun UltraSparc hardware. The servers use half gig of
> memory. The annoying part of this is that most of our customer domains are
> rarely accessed.

	I presume you mean zones rather than domains here.

	To help you at the moment change the definition of NEWZONES in
	ns_defs.h to something bigger than 64, 8192 might be a more
	appropriate value in your situation.

> Will Bind V9 be more efficient for us? Bind V9 is meant to be much more
> scalable. What we really need is for Bind to load domains from disk on
> demand.

	BIND 9 no longer has the big array of zones, which can dominate
	load times.

> Is load on demand even a realistic request ?

	It's being thought about along with trickle loading.  However
	you just can't leave zone loading forever with secondary zones
	as you need to get values out of the zone for its maintenance.

> gareth

	Mark
--
Mark Andrews, Nominum Inc. / Internet Software Consortium
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark.Andrews at nominum.com