nsupdate and disk write

Cricket Liu cricket at acmebw.com
Tue Feb 15 18:23:36 UTC 2000

> How long does it take for named (bind 8.2.2p5) to
> write changes to the backup file after you send it
> an nsupdate?

It should do it within an hour.

> Is this configurable with something like:
> options {
>           cleaning-intervale 60;
>         }

No.

> For example, I send an update to the named server,
> and the changes are immediately visible. If I kill
> -9 the process, the changes are lost. Is there a
> way to make named write the changes to the disk
> immediately, so that the changes are not lost in
> the event of a failure?

The name server maintains a log of the dynamic updates
it's processed, by default called <zone data file>.log.
If the name server rewrites the zone data file, it deletes
the log file.  If the name server crashes, it'll find the log
file next time it starts and will update the zone accordingly.

cricket

Acme Byte & Wire
cricket at acmebw.com
www.acmebw.com

Attend the next Internet Software Consortium/Acme Byte & Wire
DNS and BIND class!  See www.acmebw.com/training.htm for
the schedule and to register for upcoming classes.