Windows 2000 question ...

Jeffery Richards [2667] jrichard at mda.ca
Wed Feb 16 18:25:07 UTC 2000

I'm running Bind 8.2.x and I'm getting the message:

   16-Feb-2000 18:08:24.272 security: notice: unapproved update from
                            [1.2.3.4].4555 for domain.ca

which I understand is W2K doing its thing.  I'm a unix guy with no exposure
to MS-land so I want to ask two questions:

   a) is this to be allowed?  i.e. should I adjust named.conf to permit it
   b) if not, how do I tell them to adjust their machines to stop it?

I'm suspicious it's not required as there are several W2K boxes on the
net but I'm only getting the message from a couple of them.  However, I
know if I don't have a solution to present, I'll get the "that's how it
works" story.

Thanks in advance for any info.

--
| Jeff Richards - Network Engineer   | Phone: (604) 231-2667                  |
| Richmond, BC  CANADA  V6V 2J3      | Email: jrichard at mda.ca                 |