Q regarding Secondary DNS

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Thu Feb 17 23:47:14 UTC 2000

In article <88hs48$juv$1 at readme.uio.no>,
Johan Fredrik Öhman <johan at essay.org> wrote:
>Hi,  I have a machine (linux RHAT 6.2) connected to the Internet (2Mbit -
>line).
>On this machine I have installed bind without any problems, I have also read
>the DNS-HOWTO.
>But, I have very little information regarding secondary nameserver. If I
>have understood this right
>internic.net demands an secondary nameserver for me to "host" my domains. I
>got quite a collection of domain names,  and I'm adding and removing zones,
>do I have to edit anything on the secondary name server then ?  Or is the

Every time you add or delete a zone on the master, the operator of the
slave server has to do the same thing.

>secondary nameserver maintainance-free once I have configured it ?  Still, I
>don't know how to configure an secondary name server.
>I'd like to have some info on just that.  Thanks

There's a whole section of the DNS&BIND book titled "Running a Slave Name
Server".  Doesn't that answer your questions?  If you don't have this book,
shame on you; no serious DNS administrator should be without it.

You set it up similarly to the master.  But where the master has:

        type master;

the slave would have:

        type slave;
        masters { <master's IP address>; };