query-source bug?

Joost Stegeman stegeman at xs4all.nl
Mon Feb 21 01:45:46 UTC 2000

Hi all,

I'm a bit puzzled by the following behaviour of bind 8.2.5.
I have a setup where named is bound to a secondary (virtual) IP
address for both listening (listen-on) and querying (query-source).
After starting named, it listens to the correct address and starts
doing xfers from this address to port 53 of the remote host using UDP
53.
As the remote host does not exist yet, it times out and stops trying.
This is expected behaviour AFAIK.

BUT, after 5 tries, it starts doing TCP to port 53 of the remote host
from the boxes physical (=wrong) address, instead of the specified
query-source address. As the remote host doesn't exist, this is
signalled by a router sending "ICMP Time Exceeded (in transit)"
messages. After another 5 tries and a waiting period, the whole
process starts again.

What's going on here, why are the TCP queries coming from the wrong
address? Is this a bug?

BTW: box = Solaris 2.6

tia, Joost.