NAMED and multiple addresses on the same interface

Nicholas Berry nberry at corp.jps.net
Tue Feb 22 03:16:35 UTC 2000

I have two IP addresses on exp0 under BSDI 4.1 that I want both to "listen"
for dns queries with BIND 8.2.2p5.  I was under the impression that named
would automatically starting "listen"ing on those addresses when named was
started unless there was a listen-on { } directive in the /etc/named.conf.
I have checked the output of syslogd, and it shows that the IP address is
being used, but when I specify nslookup to resolve with the second IP
address (216.119.0.192), it responds:

*** Can't find server name for address 216.119.0.192: Non-existent
host/domain
*** Default servers are not available

I have nmapped the IP 216.119.0.192, and sure enough port 53 is open.  To
make sure that it was using that IP address, I added the listen-on
directive, but it still does not respond to DNS queries.

What am I doing wrong?

-=- Nicholas Berry
-=- nberry at corp.jps.net
-=- Cisco Engineer