MX Record Problem

George LaFavor rainner at rnc.net
Tue Feb 22 03:44:42 UTC 2000

Hi,
I am really new to DNS and am trying to get through the O'Reilly
materials.  I lost my admin so I am stuck with a problem I canot figure
out yet.  If anyone can point me in a direction I would appreciate it.

Main Server "Alpha", runs Linux and handles authentication, Sendmail,
FTP, and Web

DNS Server "Omega", runs Linux and just handles DNS

Problem occured when I wanted to split my Sendmail off Jolt onto it's
own server to be independent

My main server "Alpha" has its IP set to ###.###.14.11
It has a secondary IP of ###.###.14.29 which is pointing to
mail.mydomain.com

I removed ###.##.14.29 off the main server "Alpha" and gave it to the
new independent mail machine and called the new machine "Mail" or
mail.mydomain.com.  This new machine holds the same address and name
that the mail on "Alpha" use to have.

Problem:

No one can authenticate for mail enven though I transfered all the
passwd/shadow files over and they work.  I also transfered the mail
spool over and it spools new mail to the clients.

I get a connection refused when trying to access the mail from the local
network

I can send mail to it and out but I cannot attach and get mail
(connection refused)

I have also seen several messages saying MX configuration error. mail is
pointing back to home.mydomain.com which is what one of my CNAME's is on
"Alpha

I know this may not be explained very well but if you have questions
ask, if you have clues, I'm all ears.

Thanks

George