NAMED and multiple addresses on the same interface

Jim Reid jim at rfc1035.com
Tue Feb 22 09:57:26 UTC 2000

    Nicholas> I have two IP addresses on exp0 under BSDI 4.1 that I
    Nicholas> want both to "listen" for dns queries with BIND 8.2.2p5.
    Nicholas> I was under the impression that named would
    Nicholas> automatically starting "listen"ing on those addresses
    Nicholas> when named was started unless there was a listen-on { }
    Nicholas> directive in the /etc/named.conf.

Correct. And netstat -a will confirm that.

    Nicholas> I have checked the
    Nicholas> output of syslogd, and it shows that the IP address is
    Nicholas> being used, but when I specify nslookup to resolve with
    Nicholas> the second IP address (216.119.0.192), it responds:

    Nicholas> *** Can't find server name for address 216.119.0.192: Non-existent host/domain
    Nicholas> *** Default servers are not available

    Nicholas> What am I doing wrong?

Apart from using nslookup, probably nothing. What happens when you
send queries to 216.119.0.192 from some other host? And what happens
when you use a decent DNS tool like dig to make queries? nslookup is
awful. It's probably getting upset because you haven't got reverse
lookup for 216.119.0.192 working. It shouldn't care about this, but
one of the many quirks about nslookup that makes it a dreadful tool is
that it does care.