Notify "refused"?

Reuben Farrelly reuben-news at reub.net
Tue Feb 22 11:09:38 UTC 2000

I've done a bit of looking around to solve this problem but haven't found
any answer, so am posting this question in this newsgroup in the hope that
someone else can answer it.

I have two nameservers for my domain - reub.net, my own primary, and my
internet provider has given me use of a free secondary.  Both are running
Bind 8.22P5, my DNS is on Linux.

Upon updating my zone, incrementing the serial number and reloading my name
server, I note that my server correctly sends a notify off to the secondary,
yet the secondary does not pick up the change.  This is what I see when I do
a tcpdump:

22:01:35.053003 > reuben.lnk.telstra.net.1041 > ns1.telstra.net.domain:
31326 notify SOA? reub.net. (26) (DF)
22:01:35.166668 < ns1.telstra.net.domain > reuben.lnk.telstra.net.1041:
31326 notify Refused 0/0/0 (26)

What does this mean, and is there anything I can do about it?  The support
people who are indirectly involved in managing the secondary are not sure,
but there is a suspicion that notify has been turned off on the secondary.
I am trying to chase them for an answer, but they seem to be avoiding the
issue somewhat.

Is this the case, and if so, why and how could they turn off the notify
ability?

Thanks,
Reuben