out of memory

Jim Turner jimt at netins.net
Tue Feb 22 23:03:30 UTC 2000

An odd problem as arisen in our use of bind8.2.2p5...

named has been dying off and on now for a few weeks...
it's very very sporatic and doesn't log much when it does.
e.g.:

Feb 22 16:25:46 ns1 named[15412]: rrsetadd: out of memory
                                                     finddata: out of
memory

or the very wierd one...

  Feb 18 23:46:12 ns1 named[15265]: ns_main.c:1719:
INSIST(evDeselectFD(ev, qp->evID_w) != -1): Invalid argument failed.

I've searched through this group and found some talking about
virutual memory evaporating.  The machine this runs on has 2GB
of physical memory and 2GB of swap space.  I wouldn't think it
would be a memory problem...

but perhaps named isn't getting enough allocated by the OS
(Digital Unix 4.0e).  Has anyone else seen this happen before
and found any solutions?  tia.

Jim Turner
Systems Adminstration
netINS, Inc.