round-robin and multi MX practicalities

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Wed Feb 23 00:15:47 UTC 2000

If you just want server B to be a "holding tank" with no user access,
you should configure it with a worse MX preference and have it simply
*relay* the mail to server A. That way it'll hold the mail in its queue
while server A is down, and deliver it when server A comes back up
again. But users won't be able to access the mail while server A is
down, so it becomes a SPoF (Single Point of Failure) for that function.

If you want true *transparent* high availability, you need multiple
machines handling incoming mail, probably round-robin or
equal-preference MX'es, and multiple machines providing user access
(probably the same set of machines, but not necessarily) with some sort
of shared-storage-and-locking between them.

- Kevin