What is DNS?

Christopher Kings-Lynne chriskl at nospam.familyhealth.com.au
Wed Feb 23 04:10:52 UTC 2000

It is a world-wide distributed, hierachical database that provides a service
(operating from port 53), that allows any computer on the internet to
translate a human-readable domain name (eg. www.freebsd.org) to an IP
address (eg. 123.456.789.111) so that the computer can make a connection to
that machine.

It is similar to having a service that takes a suburb name and returns the
ZIP for that suburb...

Chris

--
Remove 'nospam.' from my email address to reply directly to me.