Sub domain name server

Darren A. Young youngd at younghome.com
Thu Feb 24 13:13:44 UTC 2000

Question,

Our ISP does DNS for our top level domain, digiship.com as well as the in-addr.arpa for the IP's they supply us. In between us and the Internet is a firewall that does NAT from our internal un-real IP's. This machine (Linux) has a caching only name server currently with all internal clients pointing to it.

What I want to do is create a zone called internal.digiship.com and host that zone locally on a DNS server. All clients and internal servers would reside in that zone in addition to the 192.168 in-addr.arpa zone to match the same. Reason being, when we get our Cisco firewall in, I'd like to have it log connects and fails with the name if the internal machine, not the IP address. Also, I'd like to have DHCP update the internal.digiship.com zone with the PC's name.

Do I simply just set up a BIND 8 machine internally and give it entries for internal.digiship.com? Should I use an option to forward the TLD up to my ISP's name server? Really, just a general questions, but some advice would be most appreciated.

Thanks,

Darren Young
Network Manager
Digiship