DNS Redirect & RD flag

scyoon at dacom.net scyoon at dacom.net
Fri Feb 25 04:25:36 UTC 2000

From: 윤성철 4267 at DACOM on 2000-02-25 01:25 PM

To:   bind-users at isc.org
cc:
Subject:  DNS Redirect & RD flag

  Hi, All

  I have some questions on testing the DNS redirection Using Layer-4
  switch(Alteon 180e).

  For this test, the network is configured like below,

       Client(PC)/DNS Server A (caching only:Linux 6.1, BIND 8.1.2) - Router -
  L4 Switch - Router - Internet

  and L4 switch is direct-connected with DNS server B (Primary:Solaris 2.7, BIND
  8.2.2).

  All DNS packets are redirected to DNS Server B by L4 switch.

  I tested two cases. One is that the client pc send the query packet(client's
  DNS Server is not Server A, B),
  another is DNS server A(DNS Server A is not a forwarder).
  The first case received the correct answer from DNS server B, but the latter
  case didn't work well.

  To serve recursion service at DNS server B regardless of the RD field of
  received DNS packet,
  I added the line, "hp->rd = 1;", in the source code* of Bind 8.2.2.

      * dispatch_message(), the function in ns_main.c

  As the result, two cases is working well.

  But, I wonder if this change affects other functions of BIND (Does  it only
  increase Server B's load ?)
  and I'd like to know how to set RD flag in BIND 8.2.2 and another method to
  resolve my problem.

  Thanks in advance.