DNS notify

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Fri Feb 25 16:16:47 UTC 2000

In article <20000224234129.A23395 at cm.nu>, Shane Wegner  <shane at cm.nu> wrote:
>I have a rather non-standard DNS setup and am looking for some help.  My
>unpublished primary DNS server has a semi-static IP.  A secondary server
>which I have access to is a slave to the semi-static primary.  There are
>several server which get their data from the static secondary.

This is similar to our setup for domains where we provide secondary DNS for
our customers.  We have an unpublished slave server that transfers from the
customer's master, and published slaves that transfer from the unpublished
slave.

>The problem I'm having is this.  When the zone changes on the unpublish
>primary, it notifies the secondary server ok.  However, since the secondary
>is configured as a slave, it doesn't send notify requests to its downlink
>servers.  Is there any way to force the seconary to notify a list of servers
>when the zone changes?  You can do it with a master server it seems but I
>can't figure out how to do it with a slave.

Put "also-notify" in the slave server's configuration file:

zone "whatever.com" {
  type slave;
  also-notify { <other slaves>; };
};