BIND-8.2.2p5 running chroot'd on 10.20

Ralf Hildebrandt R.Hildebrandt at tu-bs.de
Fri Feb 25 10:45:21 UTC 2000

Hi!

I'm in the process of running BIND-8.2.2p5 chroot'd as unprivileged user
"named" on my 10.20 box.

The setup seems to work (zonetransfers etc work already), but yet questions
remain concerning "ndc":

a) It would be nice to start named thru ndc instead of that ugly kludge that
   lurks in /sbin/init.d/named -- without (!) chroot'ing this suffices:

   exec /usr/sbin/ndc ${1+"$@"}

   (since ndc does exactly the same as that script)

   But how do I pass the arguments to ndc that emulate the following?

   /var/spool/named/usr/sbin/named -t /var/spool/named/ -u named
   (binary in chroot-jail)         (chroot-jail)        (user to run named as)

b) I can make ndc talk to the chroot'd named by specifying:

   % ndc -c /var/spool/named/var/run/ndc

   Commands like "getpid" and "status" work just fine.
   But after issuing a "reload" I get:

   can't change directory to /var/named: Permission denied
   (from named ? from ndc ?)

   and after that named dies an ugly death.

--
Ralf Hildebrandt <R.Hildebrandt at tu-bs.de> www.stahl.bau.tu-bs.de/~hildeb
Linux is like an indian's tent: